April 24, 2008

Creamy Baked Spaghetti

I made this last night...and while we decided we would tweak it a little for next time, we also thought it was quite tasty.






12 ounces of angel hair spaghetti (we use whole wheat)
1 lb. ground beef (I used 1 1/4 lb)
1 small onion--chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (I will use more garlic and perhaps add some other italianish seasonings next time!)
salt and pepper to taste
26 oz. spaghetti sauce (I would use more than this...perhaps 32 oz.)
8 oz sour cream (I didn't have sour cream...substituted some mozzarella cheese instead)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
12 oz. cottage cheese
*the recipe doesn't call for this, but I added parmesan cheese!



1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water.

2. Brown meat with onions and garlic. Drain excess grease and add salt and pepper. Add spaghetti sauce and mix well.

3. In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, cream cheese, and cottage cheese (this is where I tossed in some parmesan cheese). Mix well until combined.

4. Put half of pasta in bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Layer half of the cheese mixture and half of the meat mixture. Add remaining mixtures in same order (pasta, cheese, meat)--so that meat sauce mixture ends up on top.

5. Bake uncovered at 375 for abbout 35-35 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.




I made the full recipe and then split it into two baking dishes...one for our dinner and one for the freezer (we do this often with meals that can be frozen--which I'm finding is most anything!)...nothing like cooking once and eating twice (or more...since we still have leftovers from both meals!)


I served this with some home-made french bread (made it garlic bread tonight) and a fresh green salad.

4 comments:

My Life in Motion said...

I love the new blog banner your such a superstar!!!

Shanna said...

Thanks, dah'ling! ;)

By the way, Amanda, this looks TASTY!

Denise Sawyer said...

I saw your comment on my blog and I thought I would check your blog out. AWESOME GURRRL!

I Love this site ... Will frequent often... YUMMO!

Denise
The "Cent"sible Sawyer

Shanna said...

Amanda,
this was SO good! You're right, it makes a TON! This will feed my whole family three times!
Thanks!!

Oh! I added two cloves of garlic instead of one (like you suggested) and did use the 30-something oz. spaghetti sauce. Worked great!