May 26, 2008

Mandarin Orange Cake

Mandarin Orange Cake © 2008 

This was my first time with this recipe and I wondered, How can a cake this simple to make taste good? I was surprised at just HOW GOOD this was! Even the hubby liked it and he is hard to please when it comes to desserts!

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

2 11 oz. cans mandarin oranges, drained

Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl. It's going to be dry at first. Keep stirring! As the oranges break up, it will become more doughy. Pour into a lightly greased 9x13 cake pan.

Bake at 350* for 1 hour

WARNING: I put this cake in for the hour it called for and it wound up burning. Since I'd been dying to try it, I dumped the whole thing and made a second cake (so glad for it's simplicity!!). This time only putting it in for 37 minutes. I'd set the timer for 45 minutes but at 37 minutes my daughter told me it looked brown. So I took it out and it was golden perfect! (Test with toothpick or butter knife for doneness)

Frosting for Cake

1 cup brown sugar

4 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons skim milk

Mix brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes then pour over cake*. Serve warm.

*This makes a ton! I didn't put it all on the cake to save it from being drown! However, I decided it was TOO GOOD to waste! So, I popped a bag of popcorn in the microwave and poured the remaining (about 1/4 cup or so) frosting over the popcorn, stirred and fell in love with brown sugar all over again!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

not sure what sounds better - the cake or the popcorn?!?!?

Can't wait to give them both a try...

Murphy's Love - Becky said...

Totally tried this the NIGHT i read it! It's amazing and the kids and Murphy absolutely LOVED it! It was fantastic even the next day, after I tossed it in the microwave oven, and melted a little butter on it.. I think I am going to try it with pineapple!

Guinhyvar said...

Oooo we had this yesterday, and it is DELISH. I also made some popcorn, too, and yeah... whole new world of addiction right there...