September 21, 2008

Fried Chicken - Family Recipe

This is the first time EVER I have posted our family fried chicken recipe, anywhere. It's won blue ribbons when I competed overseas in cook offs, and nope, it's not great for the waist but it shore is for your mouth! Lol

1 lbs chicken (it does NOT matter what kind you use)
Garlic Salt
Black Pepper
1 C Shortening
1 stick butter
Flour (to coat chicken)
electric skillet

Heat shortening and butter in electric skillet on 375. Rinse chicken, then coat in flour. Once you've filled the skillet, sprinkle garlic salt and pepper over the whole thing. Put the lid on and wait. lol When you start to smell the chicken, check it, if it's golden brown on the bottom, flip it, and season the browned side.
Time for cooking depends on the chicken cuts you are using.
Drain on paper towels to reduce the grease on it.

**I love to make this along with mashed potatoes, and instead of butter only in the potatoes, I add 1/2 cup of the drippings from the chicken along with a 1/2 stick butter. It makes it taste amazing, especially if you use Yukon Gold potatoes.**
***I also use butter flavored crisco instead of plain most of the time, though the recipe calls for plain. What can I say? I'm of the Paula Deen school of thought.. better to eat whatcha want and die than be hit by a bus:) hehehe

No comments: