November 1, 2008

Beef Taquitos

© Shanna K 2008 
In the past I’ve purchased the frozen taquitos and my kids love them…however I figured if I’m going to eat this fatty goodness I should at least make an attempt at making them myself, foregoing all the preservatives and unknown meat parts that the manufacturers undoubtedly put in them! 
Ingredients

5 lbs roast cooked and shredded (I cooked pot roast in the crock pot the day before & only used half of it – shredding the other for this recipe)

2 cups cheddar cheese, grated

olive oil – about 1 cup (totally guessing)

garlic powder, to taste

onion powder, to taste

1 1/2 cups salsa or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, un-drained 

36 corn tortillas

Dippin’s

cheese sauce

salsa

sour cream

guacamole

Preparation

Don’t let the lengthy instructions scare you away from trying these.  They’re worth it and once you get a rhythm going, they go quickly.  This isn’t necessarily a sit down with the family dinner.  I was still preparing them as the kids and hubby ate, and I sat down myself when the last two came out of the pan.  However, these make a great freezer meal as they can easily make a few dozen.

  1. Mix shredded beef with cheddar cheese, garlic and onion powder, and salsa in a large bowl.
  2. Heat oil in small skillet on medium heat and place one tortilla at a time in the oil for about 30 seconds per side.  Remove tortilla from pan and lie on a plate to fill with beef mixture.
  3. Portion a couple tablespoons mixture onto each corn tortilla in the lower 1/3 of the tortilla.  Roll up tightly (watch your fingers, the oil is still HOT)  
  4. Place stuffed tortilla in second skillet, seam side down, on low-medium heat to brown and heat through – flipping once to brown other side.  (Several can sit in this pan as you oil and stuff the other tortillas).
  5. Serve hot with condiments.

To freeze for later, put seam side down on cookie sheets and freeze.  When firm, transfer to Ziploc freezer bags. 

To re-heat bake at 400 right out of the freezer!

3 comments:

Jamy said...

Mmmmm! Those sound AMAZING! We love taquitos at our house, but they're EXPENSIVE and super greasy. How greasy were these? Good greasy, or 'get me a roll of paper towels so I can sop up the excess!' I'm anxious to try them.

Shanna said...

When I first warmed the tortillas in the oil I was worried too that they'd be super greasy. But after you put them in the other pan and let them 'fry' up the oil goes away??? LOL They turned out REALLY crispy and good. Not soggy at all!

Tiffany said...

These look soooo goood! I'll be making these for sure!