5 lbs roast cooked and shredded (I cooked pot roast in the crock pot the day before & only used half of it – shredding the other for this recipe)
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
olive oil – about 1 cup (totally guessing)
garlic powder, to taste
onion powder, to taste
1 1/2 cups salsa or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, un-drained
36 corn tortillas
Don’t let the lengthy instructions scare you away from trying these. They’re worth it and once you get a rhythm going, they go quickly. This isn’t necessarily a sit down with the family dinner. I was still preparing them as the kids and hubby ate, and I sat down myself when the last two came out of the pan. However, these make a great freezer meal as they can easily make a few dozen.
- Mix shredded beef with cheddar cheese, garlic and onion powder, and salsa in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in small skillet on medium heat and place one tortilla at a time in the oil for about 30 seconds per side. Remove tortilla from pan and lie on a plate to fill with beef mixture.
- Portion a couple tablespoons mixture onto each corn tortilla in the lower 1/3 of the tortilla. Roll up tightly (watch your fingers, the oil is still HOT)
- Place stuffed tortilla in second skillet, seam side down, on low-medium heat to brown and heat through – flipping once to brown other side. (Several can sit in this pan as you oil and stuff the other tortillas).
- Serve hot with condiments.
To freeze for later, put seam side down on cookie sheets and freeze. When firm, transfer to Ziploc freezer bags.
To re-heat bake at 400 right out of the freezer!