December 17, 2008

Sticky Coconut Chicken

Sticky Coconut Chicken

Again, this masterpiece comes from My Kitchen Cafe. Can I just say that this was my finest dinner EVER? I can't even get over how INSANELY delicious this was!!!!!!

Sticky Coconut Chicken

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used tenderloins)
1 cup canned coconut milk
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Place above ingredients in Ziploc bag and marinate for at least one hour (I let mine marinade four about four to five hours). Grill on barbecue.

Glaze:
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. red pepper flakes

While the chicken is grilling, bring above ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until mixture is reduced and thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Be patient because it takes a little while. But once it starts getting really thick, immediately take it off the heat! Glaze both sides of chicken the last few minutes of grilling and serve chicken over rice.

Sidenote: I used the extra coconut milk left in the can as part of the liquid in my rice and it was unbelievable! It was very mildly sweet and paired so well with the chicken. Yum!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I bake rather than grill?

Shanna said...

This sounds amazing Jamy! I'll definitely be trying this one :)

Jamy said...

Anonymous: sorry it took me so long to answer your question but I was waiting for the answer from Melanie (the one who I got the recipe from). Here's what she had to say!

"I definitely think it could be baked but you would lose a little of the texture due to grilling. If I were going to bake it, I'd probably put it under the broiler and turn it once (and watch carefully) so that you get as close as you can to the grilling texture/flavor. I don't know how baking/broiling it would affect how the sauce glazes, but I definitely don't think it would ruin the recipe to bake it."

Tiffany said...

This sounds so good. I may try it for Christmas Day. I like to make non-traditional foods then, since we'll eat all the traditional stuff over the weekend with family. Can't wait to try these!

haben said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Kate
http://educationonline-101.com

Tiffany said...

I made this for Christmas dinner and it was great! I posted it on my cooking blog and linked back to you. Thanks for the great recipe!

Shanna said...

This was as amazing as you said Jamy!
I decided to try cous cous instead of rice for this and it was really really good - I did use the remaining amount of coconut milk to cook it and though I couldn't really taste it I'm sure it helped flavor it. I thought with the glaze the couscous was a really nice accomaniment!

The amount of red pepper flakes had me a little worried so I just left the glaze off of the little guy's piece but the rest of us loved it (perfect amount of spicey), thanks for posting!

Shanna said...

Accompaniment. That's the word I meant to spell check. Jeez.