January 21, 2009

Ham and Potato Soup

Ham and Potato Soup
I had two Ziploc bags in the freezer FULL of leftover ham from Christmas.  I had no idea what to use it for but hated to waste it.  After doing a little hunting on the Internet I managed to take from a few different recipes and throw this together.  Really simple, really fast & smells yummy all day!


Ingredients

  • 3 cups cooked ham, cut to bite-sized


  • 2 celery stalks, chopped


  • 1/2 onion, chopped


  • 2 carrots (or a handful of baby carrots), chopped


  • 5 potatoes, cut into bite-sized (I used Yukon Gold)


  • 2 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn – splurge a little and get the ‘good’ brand


  • 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth


  • pepper




  • Directions 
    Place all ingredients in crock pot. Add pepper to taste.  I opted not to add salt because the ham offers so much!  Cook on low for 8 hours.  
    If a thicker soup is desired, add cornstarch (dissolve starch in water before adding to soup to eliminate lumping).

    1 comment:

    Tiffany said...

    I made something similar this week using chicken. I've got to admit that yours looks better. And I would never have thought about using cream corn - that's a great idea!