July 12, 2009

Gazpacho: Make it Mango

Mango Gazpacho
Found at Allrecipes then adapted to suit our tastes.  As summer continues to heat up, I’m trying my hand at cool, no cook dishes.  I served this with beef shish-kabobs cooked on the grill.


Ingredients


2 & 2/3 cups diced fresh mangoes (about 4)
2 & 2/3 cups orange juice
1 cucumber sliced lengthwise – (seeds scraped out), diced
2 Tablespoons onion
1 red pepper, finely diced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded*
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (could also use parsley or cilantro)
Sea salt & black pepper


Directions


Process mangoes, orange juice, onion & jalapeno in a blender or food processor until pureed.  Pour into a medium bowl, along with remaining ingredients.  Season with salt and pepper to taste & mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until chilled. (Can be made several hours before serving.)
*This added nice flavor but not any heat – the kids didn’t notice at all.
Served our family of 5 with enough for a couple bowls the next day for lunch. 

2 comments:

Melody said...

That looks like a great dinner. I've never made gazpacho, but yours sounds delicious. Way to get your veggies and fruit all in one dish!

Shanna said...

Thanks Melody it was way better than I expected - "cold soup" made me nervous but I loved this!!