August 14, 2009

Hula Joes

Hula Joes

Source:  Real Mom Kitchen

Dedicated to Jamie because I know how she loves her hamburger!!!

Ingredients

about 7 or 8 strips of smoked bacon, chopped (I love using kitchen shears for this job)

1 pound ground beef

1/4 onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 tablespoons brown sugar

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 cup tomato sauce

1 20 oz can pineapple tidbits

Hamburger buns

 

Directions

Cook bacon until crispy in a large skillet over medium-high heat, turning once.*  Once cooked, remove bacon and set aside.  Drain the fat leaving the bacon drippings and about 3 Tablespoons of fat in the bottom of the pan (this can be approximate – I didn’t want a lot of fat but wanted to cook the beef in a lot of flavor.)

Return the skillet with bacon fat to medium high heat & add the ground beef, onion and garlic. Cook until the beef is no longer pink.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire and tomato sauce.  Pour into the skillet and add pineapple.  Cook until warmed through and thickened. 

To serve simply pile the beef mixture over an open faced bun, slap the top on and enjoy!

(to avoid splattering I cover nearly all the way with the pan lid, cook for several minutes then turn the heat all the way down to low and wait a few minutes till the temperature drops before I stir.  Not only does this help reduce splattering (saving time in clean-up later but helps to avoid getting burned by the oil)

This will make approximately 8 Joes – depending of course on how high you pile it on!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I noticed the link up top said my kitchen cafe but links to my site Real Mom Kitchen.

Shanna said...

Sorry about that Laura! I've fixed it ;)