Adapted from My Kitchen Café, this was suggested as being served in a bread bowl, which would be sooo good, but we didn’t have them so I served in in a bowl with rolls on the side! It made enough for two adults and three kids with enough left over for at least two more adult helpings and a lunch size or kid size meal.
- 2 cans chicken broth or substitute with vegetable stock
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 4-5 cups broccoli, chopped
- 4 c. milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Simmer broth and chopped onions for 15-20 minutes, covered in a small saucepan, until onions are soft.
- In large stock pot, steam broccoli florets until preferred doneness. Drain and set aside.
- Heat milk in medium sauce pan over low-medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add butter and stir till melted. Slowly add flour, whisking to avoid lumps. Stir and heat together on medium-high heat until soup starts to thicken.
- Pour milk mixture & chicken broth mixture into large pot with broccoli, adding grated cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and serve immediately.