Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian, not Vegan and certainly not Freegan is the theme here since these burgers contains eggs and cheese. The eggs are meant to help the everything stick together. However, if you want to go all Vegan, and since it’s recommended that you drain the peppers very well before mixing, you could just drain them a little less to retain some of the liquid to help meld everything together.
If you’re lucky enough to have a food processor, you’ll want to pull it out for this recipe and finely chop the bell pepper, onion, and garlic. If not, a good old fashioned sharp knife will do!
- 2 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced & drained well of liquid
- 1 small sweet onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cup seasoned croutons, crushed
- cheese for topping (optional)
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork or potato masher until thick and pasty. Add egg, chili powder and cumin. Mix well.
- Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side, adding cheese the last few minutes to melt. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.