November 9, 2009

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
We had company coming and I wanted something really good, really homemade, really simple and something I hadn’t made before.  I saw this recipe weeks ago but hadn’t dared my first attempt at lasagna.  You read right, until now, I’d never made lasagna before!  I figured our friends could be my guinea pigs.  I was so impressed with the way it turned out!  The colors of all the veggies were amazing and the smells coming from the oven were heavenly!
Now that my garden is shriveled up for winter, all our herbs have stopped producing.  I’ve become such an herb snob I felt I was “settling” for dried oregano in this recipe, but felt lucky that I could still find fresh basil in the store.
Don’t let the lengthy directions scare you away – it’s really all very simple, I promise!
I know I use For the Love of Cooking as a huge source of the recipes on my blog but she is such a great inspiration and the stuff I’ve tried and used here is always such a hit with my family!

Vegetable Ingredients (more below)

  • 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
  • 2-3 orange, red or yellow baby bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 head broccoli florets, chopped (smallish)
  • 1 small handful of shredded carrots
  • 6 cloves of garlic, leave the skins on for roasting
  • 1 green zucchini, chopped
  • 1 yellow squash, chopped
  • Olive oil
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • Fresh basil – I used a lot, probably about 12 leaves worth
  • Dried oregano – I couldn’t find fresh so I settled for dried, it was fine

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

  1. Line a baking sheet with tin foil.
  2. Layer all but the zucchini and yellow squash on the sheet. Drizzle a bit of olive oil, season with sea salt, black pepper, basil and oregano to taste and toss to coat.
  3. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add the zucchini and yellow squash to the pan, toss and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. Once the garlic cloves cool down, carefully peel the skin off and slice. Add sliced garlic back in with the rest of the veggies.

Ricotta mixture:

  • 1 16 oz. container of fat free ricotta cheese
  • 3-4 tablespoon mozzarella cheese, grated
  • 3-4 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 egg
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • Oregano, to taste
  • Basil, to taste
  • Dash of nutmeg

Other ingredients:

  • Lasagna noodles (cooked according to directions – I’ve never had any luck with the no cook variety!)
  • Your favorite jar of marinara sauce
  • Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Parmesan cheese, grated
  • Basil

Directions

Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees

  1. Combine the ricotta mixture ingredients and mix thoroughly. Taste and re-season if needed.
  2. Coat a large glass baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Pour a bit of marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish.
  3. Place a few lasagna noodles down to completely cover the bottom of pan. Add half of the ricotta mixture and spread evenly over the noodles. Next add half of the roasted veggie mixture. Cover the veggies with lasagna noodles then sauce. Repeat.
  4. Sprinkle the top with mozzarella, parmesan and dried basil. Bake covered for 30 minutes; remove the cover and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing.

Pin It

2 comments:

Kitty Moore said...

That looks yummy - going to give it a try (my nine year old daughter is a vegetarian).

Pam said...

You made my day. Thanks for your kind words and link back to my blog. I am so glad you liked this recipe. I just made it again for friends on Saturday night and it was a huge hit with everyone.