February 8, 2010

Thai Black Rice Salad

Thai Black Rice Salad
I love all the variety Kevin offers at Closet Cooking and this Thai salad is no exception!  Trying foods I never previously knew existed (who knew there were so many kinds of rice??) is exciting and fun and gives the kids something to complain about.  Honestly both girls ate and somewhat enjoyed this but Jet, who’s five, was displeased with the dish the minute it was put in front of him.  I had to coax  him to eat the entire meal…but he did eat it and though he won’t admit it, I think he did like it.  Sort of.

I thought it was a nice mix of chewy texture from the rice, a salty twist with the cashews (YUM!) and offered a sweet finish from the mango.  I think I’ll make this again in the summer … I’ll be adding more mint next time since I couldn’t taste it at all and I was most excited about that tiny green ingredient!


Ingredients:
1 cup Thai black rice
1 red pepper, diced
3 mangos, peeled, stoned and diced
3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup mint, chopped
1/2 cup cashews




Dressing:
1 lime (juice and zest)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Directions:
1. Cook the rice (2 cups water for 1 cup of rice – combine in saucepan, bring to boil, cover, simmer 45-50 minutes)
2. Mix the black rice, red pepper, mango, green onions, cilantro & mint in a large bowl.
3. Mix the fish sauce, lime juice and zest, palm sugar and birds eye chili in a small bowl.
4. Toss the salad in the dressing.  Serve with cashews sprinkled over top.

1 comment:

Julie said...

That is a beautiful dish! I'd love to give it a try.