August 23, 2010

Peach & Blackberry Pie

Peach & Blackberry Pie

My mom was coming to town for a visit and I wanted something summery, fresh & colorful as a dessert to supplement the birthday cake we’d be celebrating my newly-turned nine year olds birthday.  I found this recipe at Eat at Home and then adapted it just a smidge; it fulfilled all my requirements and then some!  Sweet and tangy all on it’s own, I added a scoop of vanilla ice cream to make it a “well-rounded” treat!

  • 2 pie crusts
  • 6 peaches, peeled and sliced
  • 1-1 1/2 cups blackberries
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ginger
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup instant tapioca

Put the first pie crust in a pie plate.  Stir the peaches, blackberries, ginger, nutmeg and sugar together in a bowl until the sugar dissolves.  Stir in the tapioca and let the fruit sit for about 15 minutes.

Pour the fruit into the pie crust.  Lay to top crust over the fruit.  Crimp the edges and cut slits in the top.  Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

I recommend putting a cookie sheet on the rack below the pie or directly under the pie plate.  Fruit pies are notorious for running over in the oven.

No comments: