October 14, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup

You guys? I’m. so. sick!  I have a huge Tupperware of leftover spaghetti in the fridge and all I wanted to do was dump a little of that on everyone’s plate tonight and call it dinner.  But I have a nighttime race on Saturday, and afterwards I get to have a super yummy post race dinner at the restaurant of my choice and the kids “get” to eat leftovers at home.  So you see, if I use up the spaghetti tonight, there’ll be nothing in the fridge for Saturday night.  Yes it’s an issue, OK?  So instead of taking the easy way out now and then having to cook dinner for everyone but me on Saturday, I figured I’d pull this soup together, because seriously?  There are three steps to follow and I figured if I can manage those three tiny steps, not only will the family be fat and happy on spaghetti at home Saturday night, I’ll also have enough of this soup, courtesy of All Recipes, leftover for lunch Saturday afternoon!

  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • handful fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 (15 oz) can corn
  • 1 (15 oz) can white hominy
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chili peppers
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons cup chopped fresh cilantro (more or less depending on preference)
  • 12 chicken tenders cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
  • sliced avocado
  • shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • chopped green onions
  • crushed tortilla chips
Directions
  1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onion until tender.  Add garlic and stir for about a minute. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
  2. Stir in corn, hominy, chilies, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.

No comments: