November 28, 2010

Artichoke Sesame Dipping Sauce

Artichokes

One of my spawn requested artichokes as a snack and since I love my little demons, I was quick to agree.  Plus?  They’re a vegetable full of anti-oxidants, ranking as the number one vegetable in anti-oxidant count.  This thorny leaved vegetable has also been reputed to help in the cure of liver disease.  Let’s not forget fiber; one medium artichoke has more fiber than a cup of prunes, and lets face it an artichoke is a lot more fun to eat than a cup of prunes!  I wasn’t sure what to serve with these beauties and tested this recipe I found at Epicurious and was instantly hooked.

Dipping Sauce

  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt

Mix well and enjoy

………………………………………………………………………………….

Not sure how to prepare an artichoke?  I read how at Simply Recipes:

1.  Cut the stem off the bottom end, leaving up to an inch attached to the artichoke.  Then cut off about 3/4 inch off the tip.  Using kitchen shears trim off the thorny ends of each leaf.

2.  Put a couple inches of water in a large pot with a slice or two of lemon, a bay leaf and a clove of garlic.  Insert a steaming basket and add the artichokes to the basket. 

3.  Cover, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.

4.  Depending on the size of your artichoke, cook between 20-45 minutes or until the outer leaves can be pulled off easily.

I’ve only eaten whole artichokes one other time and I couldn’t’ remember just how to eat one so the fact that the cooking instructions also came with eating instructions was immensely helpful!

1.  Pull off one leaf at a time and dip the white fleshy end into your sauce.  Gripping the other end of the leaf, pull through your teeth to remove the soft pulpy portion.  Discard the remaining leaf and continue until all the leaves have been eaten.

2.  Once you’ve reached the heart of your artichoke, you’ll see a “pod” of fur.  Using a knife cut all the way around the furry part, much like you’d cut a grapefruit.  Then, using a spoon scoop the furry section out.  Cut the remaining soft stem part into pieces, dip and enjoy.

Did you enjoy this recipe, the photos found here, or Good Stuff in general? Head over to Facebook and like the page!  When you Share a recipe (using the social media buttons below each post) with friends and family you’re helping to make the world a better place.  And it makes me happy.  Mostly it makes me happy.  It also helps me, and all the other food blogs used here, to keep doing what we love doing; sharing good food.  Thanks for visiting!  - Shanna

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Mmm one of my favourite healthy snacks! Although I've never tried making it myself.