December 24, 2010

Eggnog Cupcakes

Eggnog Cupcakes

It’s been a week since the kids were released from the confines of school for the holiday break, and since then I think I’ve eaten only one healthy meal.  I’ve had more than my fair share of cordial cherries, ginger snap cookies, death-by-chocolate birthday cake, cookies from neighbors, more cookies from friends, candy from the kids’ stash, candy from our twelve days of Christmas extravaganza, and now?  If I never eat another cookie it may be too soon.  That is, until tonight when my sugar level dips dangerously low and I feel the need to gorge again.  I told the kids that Santa would probably leave “extra” gifts if we were more original with our offering tonight and left something other than cookies.  These eggnog jollies were first on the list after I Googled for a recipe and since I’m already a fan of Annie’s Eats, I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed!  These are a perfect blend of flavors, tease the senses with the scent of rum and are (surprisingly) not terribly sweet!  The tops cooked up almost chewy, leaving the centers with a cakey softness.  My stocking will definitely not be empty in the morning!

Ingredients:

Cupcakes

  • ¼ cup dark rum or bourbon
  • 1 cup low-fat eggnog
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. baking powder
  • ½ tsp. salt

Frosting

  • ¼ cup butter, softened
  • 3 tbsp. low fat eggnog
  • 1 tbsp. rum
  • generous pinch of nutmeg
  • 2 (or more) cups powdered sugar
  • ground cinnamon
  • cinnamon sticks

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°

1. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. In a small bowl, mix together the rum, eggnog, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract.

2.  In a large bowl, mix together the nutmeg, sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

3.  Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.

4.  Divide evenly between prepared muffin wells.

5.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting, cream together the butter, eggnog, rum, nutmeg and powdered sugar. Add in more confectioners’ sugar if needed to make the frosting stiff, but spreadable. Frost the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon and garnish with a cinnamon stick.

No comments: