December 2, 2010

Apple Cider French Toast

Gingerbread French Toast

The Man is out of town, fixin’ to bring home a little extra bacon and since breakfast isn’t his favorite at dinner time, I took the opportunity to make French toast for the kids and myself.  I grabbed the orange juice from the fridge, planning to make orange toast but the apple cider was begging me, instead, to use it!  So, with a little of this and a little of that, these came out de-li-cious, if I do say so myself – and it was with 100% success rate which, if you’re keeping track, is 34% better than my last recipe!  I threw in a hard boiled egg for protein so dinner would qualify as healthy.

Ingredients

  • 12 slices Texas toast
  • 3/4 cup apple cider (not apple juice, if you please)
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • pat or two of butter

Directions

1.  Combine cider, milk, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large shallow dish and whisk together until combined.

2.  Melt the butter on a hot skillet, at about medium heat.

3. Dip both sides of each slice of bread, one at a time, into the cider mixture then place on the skillet and cook till it’s browned and crispy, about 5 minutes.  You want to make sure the outside doesn’t cook too quickly before the inside gets cooked through too or you’ll end up with mushy toast!

4.  Flip the bread and repeat, till crispy on the bottom.

5.  Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over top and serve!

No comments: