January 25, 2011

Chocolate Choco-Mint Chip Cookies

Chocolate Choco-Mint Chip CookiesHow about Brownies for Dinner?  I don’t make much chocolate in our house because no one else eats enough of it, then I’m stuck eating all of it.  And I do eat it.  Which tastes good but undoes everything I try to do with my running and lets face it, just because I’m older and wiser, doesn’t mean it gets any easier to keep that junk off my hips!  I like to store fresh-baked cookies in freezer bags.  They last longer, and believe it or not, I tend to forget they’re in there, which helps with portions.  These, however, didn’t last long enough!  Even my girl who doesn’t much care for chocolate, packed a couple for herself in her school lunch and I heard an “awwww” when they were gone.  I used Andes mints because I didn’t want a mouthful of mint chip, but neither did I want just chocolate.  Just the perfect blend of mint with each bite without being nauseating.  Chewy to nth degree, these pack a powerful chocolate punch without being over sweet. 

The dough also freezes well!  Scoop the dough as you would when baking it and line up as many of the dough balls on a baking sheet that will fit. Then place the baking sheet in the freezer until all of the dough balls are completely frozen. At that point, you can put all of the dough balls into a freezer bag.To bake from frozen, extend the baking time to 10-12 minutes.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 10 ounce bag of mint chips (I used Andes)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla.
  3. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Stir into butter mixture until well blended.
  4. Mix in the chips. Drop by a rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or just until set. Cool on pan for about 2 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack.

No comments: