February 23, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

Baked OatmealLast night after dinner I asked the girls if they wanted to make breakfast for the next morning.  They love any opportunity to cook and prepare food in the kitchen so they jumped at my offer.  They prepped the dry in one bowl, the wet in a second then we stored the wet ingredients in the fridge until this morning. 

I woke up half an hour early, combined the two bowls, poured it all into the baking dish and enjoyed a quiet 25 minutes to myself with a hot cup of coffee. 

I’m going to be honest, it wasn’t my absolute favorite.  It was a little too wet, (I imagined more of a dry granola texture and this was more of a soft texture) and a lot too sweet.  I first saw this recipe on Our Best Bites but realized they’d adapted it from All Recipes so I headed over there to see what they’d changed and realized, not much was different.  Then I read over several of the reviews, knowing how I expected it to turn out, and I’ve adapted it for next time.  I’m certain it’ll come out crispier, and much less sweet.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups old fashioned oats (not quick-cooking)
  • 1/3 c. brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 cup fruit (I used dried “mixed berries”.  Blueberries, apples, raisins etc. would be tasty too.)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs

Directions

Preheat oven to 350.

1.  In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and fruit of choice.

2.  In a smaller bowl, mix the milk, applesauce, vanilla, and eggs.

3.  Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and stir to combine.

4. Pour into a 13x9 inch baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Serve immediately with a splash of warmed milk (optional).   Serves 8.

No comments: