February 4, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Muffins

DSC_5808 copy

While at the library this week, Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld called out to me again.  I’ve always walked past it before because to be perfectly honest, I don’t need to hide the vegetables from my kids.  They like them.  But then I thought it couldn’t hurt to get some extra veggies in when they’re not looking and if I can sneak ‘em into our snacks and goodies, even better!  I bought (read: bribed with $5 in change) the rest of the kids’ Christmas candy from them, bagging it up to be pulled out for movie theater candy. 

To make the yellow squash puree, the book suggests cutting the squash in cubes and steaming it for 6-8 minutes.  Puree in a blender or food processor for about 2 minutes.  Then in 1/2 cup portions, freeze the puree in freezer bags.  I bought 3 yellow squash and had 2 cups to show for it.  Plenty for me to start and try some of these recipes.

I’ve heard great things about this book, but after reading reviews on-line I wasn’t so sure.  So far?  I’m impressed!  I adapted the recipe only slightly and these turned out hearty and filling and sweet, without being sugary; perfect for after school & afternoon snacks!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 6 oz. lemon yogurt
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup yellow squash puree (one squash should be plenty)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup flax seed flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups.

  1. In a large bowl, cream the sugar and the butter with a large spoon.  Add in the yogurt, squash puree, egg, lemon extract & lemon zest and mix well.  Fold in the blueberries.
  2. Add flour, flaxseed flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt then stir just to combine; do not over-mix – the batter should be a little lumpy.
  3. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake 13-16 minutes.  The tops should begin to brown and a toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.

Turn the muffins out onto a rack to cool.  Store in freezer bags and enjoy cold from the freezer or warmed up in the microwave!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Yum, a blueberry lemon combo in a muffin. Sounds like a great breakfast treat. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-3.html