March 29, 2011

Saltine Cracker Toffee

Saltine Cracker Toffee

Source:  The Girl Who Ate Everything

This stuff reminds me of all the things my friends always had at their houses that my mom and I never had at ours.  I was a jealous child.  Other kids had things like cheesy quesadillas, grilled cheese with Velveeta and white bread.  We had things like whole grain bread, real cheese, vegetables and fruit.  I just couldn’t comprehend why my mom tortured me so!

I get it now, and enjoy torturing my own children with such things as organic vegetables, whole grains and 100% juice, but once in a while, I like to break out the “poor folks” junk food and get a little old school!

Ingredients

  • 40 salted saltine crackers or enough to line your pan
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 cups milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and

  1. Line a cookie sheet or jelly with saltine crackers in a single layer.
  2. In a small pot combine sugar and butter then bring to a boil.  Continue to boil for three minutes. It should be a deep caramel color. Immediately pour over saltines then spread to cover crackers completely.
  3. Bake 5 to 6 minutes – it’ll be bubbly.  Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and let them sit a couple of minutes to melt.
  4. Spread melted chocolate with a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon.  Cool completely and break into pieces.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Mmm, those would be some tasty little bites. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your toffee up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-11.html