April 6, 2011

Corned Beef & Hash

Corned Beef & Hash

Adapted from All Recipes

The key to getting nicely browned potatoes is a HOT pan (as in high-heat), minimal stirring, and using your spatula to press down, eliminating air pockets and increasing the amount of potato touching the pan.  Until now?  I didn’t’ know this either.  Welcome to cooking 101, my friends! 

I made Rueben Sandwiches the other night for dinner and had enough corned beef left over that I knew I wanted to try something I’ve never made before.  It did take some cook-time, but prep was a snap.  It turned out so good and the way it made the house smell took me back to my childhood, waiting for mom to get dinner ready after a long day at school.

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped to small bite size 
  • about 1/2 lb. cooked corned beef, chopped bite size
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 5 tablespoons cider vinegar
Directions
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
  2. Sauté onions and potatoes until slightly browned, then stir in corned beef.
  3. Season with pepper and add vinegar 1 tablespoon at a time, cooking for 3 minutes between each addition.
  4. Partially cover skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

I didn't know about that either. I always stir my potatoes around my frying pan. Thanks for educating me on this:) This looks like a lovely dish. well, any dish that takes you back to childhood MUST be good!