April 1, 2011

Strawberry Mango & Avocado Salad

Strawberry, Mango & Avocado Salad

Recipe adapted from Pink Parsley

It’s definitely spring here in Texas and the thermostat hitting 80 degrees in my house today proves it!  No, I’m not ready yet to turn on the air conditioner so I threw together this spring salad instead of heating up the kitchen by cooking!  I paired it with grilled chipotle pork chops and dinner was done in less than 30 minutes.  Even my nine year old middle-child, who insists she hates mango, gobbled this up, admitting that this mango tasted better than her school’s.  I’ll take that as a compliment!

In case you’re not in the know, this is what I used to cut the mango, then I just scored both halves with a knife, both length and cross wise and scooped squares away from the skin and set the skin aside.

Ingredients

  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons orange juice
  • juice of 1/2 lime
  • pinch cayenne
  • 4 mangos, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries
  • 5 avocados, pitted and cut into 1-inch cubes

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, vinegar, orange juice, lime juice and cayenne. 
  2. Toss with the avocado, strawberries and mango, then allow to sit for at least 15 minutes. 
  3. Serve in the mango or avocado shells to be just a little less boring.  Top with a sprig of mint if you want to get real fancy!

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Are you kidding me? I love all the ingredients on this list. This is superb! I like how you use the mango skin as a cup here. It's certainly good stuff indeed. Thanks for good stuff;) I'll certainly be coming back for more!