May 9, 2011

Homemade Maple Syrup

Homemade Maple Syrup Sinzibuckwud, or ‘sweet water’ having come from the maple tree, was used by the Aborigines of North America for it’s sugar content long before European settlers arrived and began pouring it over their crumpets and porridge.*  There wasn’t any high fructose corn syrup to speak of and the all natural sweetener was used in a variety of ways to sweeten foods.  Tell me this; what’s the big deal with hfcs?  Is it because it’s processed?  I don’t get it.  I’ve Googled it to death and don’t really understand why it’s worse for our bodies than pure sugar. This turned out very well, if just a little thinner than I’m used to – but no thinner than pure maple syrup purchased in a grocery store. 

I’d say this syrup is between imitation syrup and real maple syrup in it’s consistency; which is to say I didn’t mind that it was slightly more runny than the fake junk I regularly consume on our waffles.  Also, I don’t like how sweet real maple syrup is and this recipe didn’t turn out near as sweet as that.  Happy!

The recipe, found at All Recipes, makes two cups and I stored it in a washed jam jar.  I haven’t refrigerated it because it will likely all be consumed this week along with the double batch of waffles that were made this morning.  Honestly I found conflicting ideas on how syrup should be stored so do a little research and do what you will with it.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon maple extract
Directions
  1. Bring the water, white sugar, and brown sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
  2. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in the maple extract; simmer 10 minutes longer.

Source: Wikipedia

Did you enjoy this recipe, the photos found here, or Good Stuff in general? Head over to Facebook and like the page!  When you Share a recipe (using the social media buttons below each post) with friends and family you’re helping to make the world a better place.  And it makes me happy.  Mostly it makes me happy.  It also helps me, and all the other food blogs used here, to keep doing what we love doing; sharing good food.  Thanks for visiting!  - Shanna

No comments: