Be sure to give yourself enough time to prepare this recipe; it takes about 30 minutes to prepare and two to three hours to cook.
- 1 slice sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more for serving
- fresh cilantro
- Pepper Jack cheese
- sliced avocados
1. Mash the bread and milk into a paste in a large bowl using a fork. Mix in the ground turkey.
2. Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno, and cook until they are softened, 5-7 minutes. Add the chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, and oregano and cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
3. Stir in the turkey and cook, breaking up any large pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the tomato sauce, scraping up any browned bits.
4. Add the diced tomatoes with their juices, beans, 3 tablespoons of water, soy sauce and honey. Cover and cook on low 2-3 hours.
5. Stir in the lime zest, lime juice, and (optional) cilantro.