Nothing quite finishes off an afternoon like coffee cake straight from the oven. Too hot to go outdoors and bored out of our gourdes, my eldest girl-child helped pull this quick treat together that I found at Joy of Baking. It wasn’t overly sweet which we all enjoyed. Despite the coffee mug in the photo, I opted to make up a tall glass of iced coffee rather than a hot cuppa which was even better for a summer afternoon treat.
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter, or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray, an 8 x 8 inch square dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and ground cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside while you make the cake batter.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Add the flour mixture, alternately with the milk, and beat only until combined.
- Evenly spread the batter onto the bottom of an 8x8 cooking dish, coated with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Evenly arrange the blueberries on top of the cake batter and then sprinkle with the streusel topping.
- Bake for about 40 -50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Did you enjoy this recipe, the photos found here, or Good Stuff in general? Head over to Facebook and like the page! When you Share a recipe (using the social media buttons below each post) with friends and family you’re helping to make the world a better place. And it makes me happy. Mostly it makes me happy. It also helps me, and all the other food blogs used here, to keep doing what we love doing; sharing good food. Thanks for visiting! - Shanna