January 26, 2012

Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins

Donut Muffins

My love for donuts is rivaled only by my love for my children* so when I saw this recipe at Koko Cooks I knew I had to try them because I almost always forgo the donut section in the store.  Self restraint is a virtue I like to pretend I have, but the reality is, behind closed doors I could pack away half a dozen donuts on my own.  For real.  I’ll be honest though, I didn’t think these came out tasting like a donut, but more like a snicker-doodle in muffin form.  Lightly flavored &  dusted with cinnamon sugar, these come in as a close second to a donut, paired with a cup of coffee in the morning.

I doubled the recipe below and came out with 20 muffins.  Kept as is, you’ll get about a dozen, depending on how full you fill the tins.

*My husband read this and wondered aloud “So you love our kids AND donuts more than me, huh?”  Quick on my toes, I replied, “Of course not!  I love you more than donuts and our children.”  He was satisfied with this.  Carry on.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 350˚F.

  1. Lightly coat a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and egg.
  3. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
  4. Pour dry mixture into the egg mixture and stir to combine.  Add vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla, stirring until just combined.
  5. Divide batter evenly into muffin tin, filling each cup about 2/3 full.  Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes clean, about 17-18 minutes.
  6. Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from tin.
  7. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. While the muffins are still warm, press and roll each one in the mixture, coating all sides with the cinnamon sugar.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Glad I stumbled onto your blog! These sound fantastic. I love warm carbs & coffee for breakfast. Nothing better! lol