February 8, 2012

Sugar Cookie Bars

Sugar Cookie BarsI’ve been craving sugar cookies for a while now but I loathe making the mess involved in their creation.  I found both the cookies and the frosting at Six Sisters Stuff and though I modified the frosting quite a bit, I was immediately hooked!  All the goodness, none of the mess. 

The best part is getting to share one of these with my 13 year old when she comes home from school.  It’s just her and I for a solid hour before the younger kiddos get home and it’s one of my favorite times of the day where the world seems to stop and wait patiently while we catch up on everything that happens in her middle school world.

The frosting is seriously the best frosting I’ve made to date.  The texture is perfect and it’s just sweet enough without being overwhelming.  

Ingredients

  • 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Frosting

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter, softened
  • 1 Tablespoon milk
  • 3 Tablespoons orange juice
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • couple of drops food coloring(optional)

Combine all ingredients until well-blended. Spread on top of bars. Top with sprinkles if you want!

Directions

Preheat oven 375*

  1. In a large bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Mix in vanilla.
  2. In a separate bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking soda. Add to wet mixture and mix with a spoon, just until combined.
  3. Using a rubber spatula sprayed with cooking spray, spread the dough evenly onto a greased, rimmed 13x18x1 cookie sheet. 
  4. Bake for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.

1 comment:

Jamy said...

I saw these too on their site! I'm glad you tested them out for me! ;) I am the same way... SOOOO messy for a cookie that isn't even my favorite. Can't wait to make these today!!!