Sometimes I just don't want to have stuff in the crock pot all day, sometimes I’m extra lazy, and sometimes I like to procrastinate. I found this recipe at 365 Days of Slow Cooking and intended, for several days, to prepare it as it was written. Then I didn’t. My kids aren’t picky eaters but, to me, the less questions about dinner’s ingredients the better. So I pureed all the veggies first, then after everything was in the pot, I also used my immersion blender and whipped it up till it was almost entirely smooth.
I served this with a nutty fruit bread and it was really, very good and a great go-to recipe for busy weeknight! The next day we had the leftovers and I just pulled out a few croissants and since those are French, I felt extra fancy so we called it a good Thursday night dinner.
- 2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 handfuls baby carrots
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 T fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Puree all vegetables.
- Add all ingredients except cheese to stock pot.
- Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat, stirring often to avoid burning the cream. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often for 30 minutes.
- Top with cheese before serving.