October 23, 2012

Crock Pot Pumpkin Coffeecake Oatmeal

Crock Pot Pumpkin Coffeecake Oatmeal

I know steel cut oats are the way to go, health wise, but I don’t buy them.  They’re more expensive for a smaller container and we love our oatmeal.  We eat too much of it to justify buying the steel cut.  Don’t hate. 

When I found this recipe on Healthy Slow Cooking I was bummed that it specifically called for steel cut, and a quick Google search confirmed that they are the ideal choice.  I knew I couldn’t leave this to cook in the crock pot all night but with my morning running schedule, it worked out perfectly to use regular oats (not the quick-cook).  Since I’m up a solid hour before my daughters, this gives me time to get everything in the crock pot and it has time to cook while they shower.  An hour and a half later, we have oatmeal!

I used one, plus one half serving-size amount of oatmeal from the side of the can.  I changed the amount of water because, I’m assuming, the elevation here in Texas always leaves my oatmeal runny so I decreased the liquid by quite a bit.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 2 1/4 cups water or milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping

  • brown sugar to taste
  • ground nutmeg to taste
  • chopped pecans or almonds (optional)

Directions

  1. Put oats, water (or milk), pumpkin, cinnamon and vanilla in the crockpot and cook on high for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
  2. Stir in extra milk to make it the consistency that you like.
  3. Sprinkle brown sugar, nutmeg and nuts on top!

5 comments:

Jamy said...

Hey friend! What is the serving size on this?!

Shanna K said...

If I remember right, it fed me, plus two thirds of my kids (one won't eat oatmeal) :)


Jamy said...

I am not an oatmeal fan either, but I really hate eggs so I don't have a lot of breakfast options! haha It smells WONDERFUL! I can't wait for another hour to hurry and pass so I can taste it!

Jamy said...

Yummy!!!! Probably the best tasting oatmeal I've ever had!

Shanna K said...

Yay! I'm glad you like it!!