It was Sunday afternoon, the kids and I had just come home from a morning run/bike ride and an afternoon of playing at the park, and we were in the mood for something sweet. These doughnuts from Janie’s Kitchen were just what we needed! Not over sweet, these are a great treat to indulge in without feeling like you’ve cheated on your healthy side.
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (roughly 2 small bananas)
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 325F
- Using your electric mixer with the whisk attachment, add the mashed banana, sugar and Greek yogurt. Mix until incorporated.
- Add melted butter & vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition to avoid re-solidifying the butter (or use room temperature eggs) and mix.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the batter and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix!
- Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into a zip lock bag and seal shut. Using scissors, snip the bottom corner of one side of the zip lock bag to create your homemade piping bag.
- Grease your doughnut baking pan and pipe 3/4 full the batter into each doughnut mold.
- Optional: Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture on top of each doughnut batter before baking. Or you can dip the doughnuts once baked in the cinnamon sugar mixture. You may need to paint melted butter on top of each doughnut before dipping the doughnuts in the sugar mixture to allow them to stick. Both options work perfectly.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool before eating.